The New Year is here and as we enter a new decade, new beginnings and fresh starts await. We’d like to inspire you on how you can fulfil many of the popular New Year’s resolutions this year, in particular; encouraging a more sustainable lifestyle and aiming for a happy and healthy 2020. We can assure you by sticking to resolutions that give back to our planet and your wellness will be truly rewarding.
Reduce plastic waste
- Going green-er is currently a hot topic, but it’s sometimes hard to input into our daily lives. So we’d like to give you a few ideas on how you can start living more sustainably. A popular and easy one is to start using Beeswax wraps: sold in-store, these are a perfect way to start reducing single use plastic waste. These wraps are a great alternative to cling film, you can use them to pack your lunch or to wrap up leftovers; and they can last up to a year if they’re well looked after! As well as this, always (try to) remember your bags for life, however when shopping with us, bags are no worry as our paper bags are 100% compostable.
Introduce meat-free Mondays (or any day/s that suit)
- Research shows that reducing our meat consumption is vital when it comes to reducing your ecological impact (and improving our health, too!). However, cutting all your meat consumption out overnight is probably not realistic for everyone, so why not integrate a meat-free day into your weekly routine to start with? This will not only contribute to a greener planet but will enlighten you on the deliciousness of plant-based meals.
Reduce chemicals in the home
- This is often something that is overlooked, as we don’t physically see the impact. However, you would be surprised at how the domestic cleaning products we use actually impact the environment and those around you. The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) reports that inside the typical home, the air is 2-5 times more polluted than directly outside; this is due to the use of chemical cleaning agents. Switching to natural cleaning products can improve air quality, it’s safer for children and pets plus it protects our environment. If you’d like to read more in-depth about how to detox your home, read our previous blog on why you should use natural cleaning products.
Create a no-phone zone
- Get outside and embrace nature! We’re all guilty of disconnecting ourselves from the outside world by aimlessly scrolling on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook etc for hours on end. A digital detox is a fantastic opportunity to get outside and explore the great outdoors without distraction. Studies have shown that spending time in nature has incredible rejuvenating effects on both our bodies and minds. These include:
- Improved sleep quality
- Boosted immune system
- Lowered blood pressure
- Increased energy levels
- Reduced stress
- Enhanced mood
- Higher creativity
- Better memory and improved attention span
Why not join our Weekly Walking Club? Every Thursday @ 11am, meet outside the shop for a walk up the Beacon; enjoy a chat whilst taking in our beautiful countryside that surrounds us, and then a stop off at the café afterwards.
- As you may know, this is something that we’re very passionate about and part of the reason we set up this business. Being a conscious shopper can be so much more rewarding and fulfilling. When buying from these types of businesses, you’ll know for a fact that the product you receive was made with love and care which makes it that little bit more special. And the fact that you can support these small brands in the process is a huge plus. Ways you can start shopping consciously are to:
- Shop locally: it’s a great way to reduce carbon emissions and growing your local economy
- Shop quality over quantity
- Shop sustainable materials: e.g. organic fabrics, natural stone/dyes etc.
- Support independent artisans
Try something new
- There are many benefits to investing your time into learning a new skill. Why not book onto one of our workshops? We host a range of workshops here at the shop, with something to suit everybody; ranging from calligraphy & jewellery making to green cleaning & women’s health. Read our previous blog on why you should try a creative workshop. You won’t regret it!
We hope we’ve inspired you to try out at least one (or all!) of our resolutions to encourage a happier, healthier and more sustainable year. And remember, the best time for new beginnings is now!